Thursday, July 27, 2006

six feet under

what is it about this show that just leaves you feeling empty inside? after we watch an episode, ryan and i just sit on the couch in silence, trying to reabsorb life. i started watching in the third season and got hooked. it's not that much better than a soap opera, but the characters are more real and quirkier and the storytelling compelling and creative. we stopped cable after season 4, so for the last year we've been hanging, desperately avoiding all spoilers. now, finally ,we've started watching the last season.

its strange that the show can be so addictive and yet so annoying at the same time. i swing from muttering in disgust and disdain at the characters and their stupidy, to clutching the couch cushions, thinking, oh no, poor nate!

at the same time, it makes me so happy for my relationship. i mean, heck, the people in the show are _dys_functional. by watching them do everything wrong, it shows me how we are doing everything, well, not completely right, but at least better than they are. the emptiness comes from witnessing people in relationships not act out of love and respect but out of resentment, fear, and anger.

2 comments:

Jen(n) said...

I am a huge fan too but have the same criticisms. I recently discovered the short-lived HBO show Dead Like Me... you might like it. The first season is much better than the second.

xtinehlee said...

I LOVE "SFU." It's all I watched at Hedgebrook, alone in my cottage.