Thursday, November 01, 2007

3:10 to Yuma

And so passes another Halloween spent hiding from the kids. It's not that I'm against Halloween. I like Halloween. But we never seem able to get our stuff together. Rather than risk angry mobs of kids at our door demanding candy, we turn out all the lights and slip away.

This time we decided to see a movie, and selected 3:10 to Yuma. My choice. I sort of knew it wouldn't be your average Western, and indeed, it turned out not to be. Ebert has a descent review of it here, and I don't have a lot to add. It's a character piece--not a lot actually happens, and yet it's fraught with tension and drama. Christian Bale is an amazing actor, and plays off well against Russel Crow.

There were a few things that threatened to snap the illusion, but not enough to ruin the movie for me.

No comments: