Monday, April 09, 2007

help! stuck in an endless loop

For the last three days I've been listening to the same bloody songs over and over again, first with a little Jethro Tull and Dylan mixed in, but gradually the list was boiled down to two: Fleetwood Mac's Second Hand News and Grateful Dead's Standing on the Moon, which strikes me as a deeply patriotic song though I don't quite know why considering its global perspective (the reference to Old Glory, perhaps? or the mention of good ol' 'Frisco.)

Anyway, I like these songs. I really do, and when I listen to them I like to close my eyes and sing along (which doesn't leave a lot of time for anything else). But really, enough is enough. It's time to move on! But I want to hear those songs, just one more time...

1 comment:

Zoooma said...

What an amazing song, SOTM. Even though Robert Hunter wrote in Old Glory, that to me helps give perspective of how far away and what it's like where the storyteller (Jerry) is. There's no air on the moon so Old Glory doesn't wave like it does in U.S. Blues -- it just stands there stiff and lifeless.

What it surely true is the song's a cry for the state of the world but at the same time a love song about a person yearning for something different and better and more peaceful. How idyllic is a back porch in July just looking up at the crescent in the sky?! And "Somewhere in San Francisco" is perhaps just a small tribute to "home" for the band, the central place that is their roots.

But listen, if you get confused about what a song is saying... Just Listen To The Music Play!!